Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Nathan Alexander Spanu: born August 16th @ 10:04pm, 6.5lbs

A lot of you have been wondering about the past week and how everything unfolded after my last post. Well, here it is...

~We were officially called into the OR at about 9:30pm (after waiting in the case room since 11:30am!) and walked down to get ready for the C-section. What an experience that was. SO different from having natural labour. I had three different needles put into my spine and by the third I could no longer move. The surgery was going fine and I was doing my best to stay calm and all of a sudden I hear my obstetrician say, "Now the three of you have to get the butt out!" It felt like someone was jumping up and down on my chest and I couldn't catch my breath. I started to panic and cry, but thankfully Dan was there to calm me down. Then the next thing I know I hear that newborn cry- it had been so long since I heard that cry! Nathan came out at 10:04pm, weighing in at 6.5lbs. So of course, Dan and I are crying, the baby is being weighed, Dan is cutting the last part of the umbilical cord... a lot happens within that 20 min span! The hardest part is AFTER the baby comes out. The recovery part. The not being able to get up easily part. The regret of having too many cheeseburgers and trips to the Cheesecake Cafe part. The whoa I've got a lot of working out to do part... Ah, my favourite part ;) I can't complain though- look what I get: a healthy beautiful baby boy to add to my bunch!



~I quickly got to meet "Boy Mendoza" and he was shortly sent off to the ICN, where he was hooked up to machines to help him breathe. He also had to be tube fed and had an IV put in... needless to say, it was all awful to see. I couldn't actually go down and see him so Dan took pictures and reported back to me while I was in recovery. After two days in the ICN (now) Nathan was finally allowed to come into the room with me and we were sent home the next day. He was breathing on his own and was finally keeping milk down. He was doing great!

~We were sent home late Friday afternoon and that was it- our family was complete! Lucas met Nathan in the hospital and fell in love with him instantly. Every morning he comes out of his room and yells out "Brother, where are you?!" Then we have to (lovingly of course ha ha) shush him and tell him that he is sleeping. All he wants to do is kiss and hug him. He always says, "I hold it" (even though Dan keeps telling him that "it" is in fact a "him/he/brother" ha ha) and he puts his hands out and waits to hold him. And Lucas just stares at Nathan- he looks at him in such a protective way- when Nathan cries Lucas gets so worried and says, "No no, it's okay" and starts to look like he's going to cry himself. So sweet.



~I have to say though, that I do have the best husband in the world. Dan is on parental leave for 9 months and we make a good team. I couldn't have asked for a better dad for my kids. Dan has been so supportive, patient and helpful in every way. It has made this recovery from this C-section so much easier. I love hearing Dan and Lucas getting ready for breakfast together, while I'm upstairs with Nathan. They have such funny conversation and just play- it seems so simple, but Dan has perfected the art of play. Lucas adores his dad. Sorry about all this cheezy talk- not sure if it's the hormones speaking, but I just feel really lucky.

~Recovery for me has been okay. It's amazing how you forget how much you need your stomach muscles to do so many things like laughing, coughing, getting up from the couch! SO painful. Especially when Dan makes me laugh and I have to tell him to be serious, which is very hard for him :)



~So here we are, the Spandoza's at home together for the next 9 months! What an adventure I'm sure that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment